Introduction to HVAC Fundamentals
Overview: 12 Week HVAC Training Program
Our 12 Week Introduction to HVAC Training Program is the perfect class for those interested in entering the Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning industry. This course is designed for beginners excited about a new career, and will teach you everything you need to know in order to join the workforce immediately upon completion. No experience or prior knowledge is required! Our course is easily accessible for students of all backgrounds!
Taught as 3 consecutive parts, we focus on hands on learning to best equip you for success. This course covers everything needed for industry success in the HVAC trade from: HVAC Electrical, to the Heating & Air Conditioning Refrigeration, and finishing off with Installation Practices.
Module 1: HVAC Electrical
We start by building a strong foundation in understanding safety, the basics of HVAC systems, initial diagnostics, and customer service keys to success.
Topics Covered in the HVAC Electrical:
- + Safe electrical work practices
- + Low voltage transformers, diagrams, & controls
- + Standard AC, Furnace, and Heat Pump controls & wiring
- + Positive preventative maintenance procedures
- + Positive Customer communication methods
- + Refrigeration- Cycle, Safety, Usage, and More
- + Training and Testing for EPA Certification
- + And More!
Module 2: Heating & Air Conditioning Refrigeration
Now that we understand what the heating and A/C systems do, we dig into the details of how they operate. From understanding the refer cycle, practicing charging and recovery, brazing and more, you’re going to learn it all through our fast paced, hands-on learning approach!
Topics Covered in Heating & AC Systems:
- + Fundamentals of thermodynamics and heat transfer as it relates to the refrigeration process
- + EPA Certification testing
- + Evaluating cooling system indicators
- + Refrigerant piping, recovery, and tank filling
- + Heat Pump systems and A/C systems
- + Air flow ventilation design and optimization
- + Understanding the refer cycle and how to work with it
- +Working with Gas, Flue, and Condensate lines
- + And More!
Module 3: Installation Practices
Now we get into the why. We take everything we’ve learned so far and perfect our skills through endless hours of labtime. We work hard in this module to ensure that every student feels confindent and excited to bring all of their new skills and knowledge out into the field. We give an ample amount of time for practice and training before our students start their careers.
Topics Covered in HVAC Installation Practices:
- + Furnace Installation
- + A/C Installation
- + Heat Pump Installation
- + Ducting and Ventilation Installation
- + System design, sizing, and optimization
- + Duct testing and light troubleshooting
- +Resume building and job preparation
- + OSHA Approved First Aid, CPR, & AED Training
Some topics may vary.
Details: Fundamentals of HVAC
All Joe Lewis HVAC Training Center classes are taught with a strong focus on enabling students to gain real, hand-on experience by providing as much practical real-world lab experience that will set them up for success. Learn more about the Joe Lewis Difference.
Classes are taught 3 days a week to provide you with the flexibility you need to continue working while you train and study for your new career. This course is offered in both an AM and PM format to best meet your scheduling needs.
- + Morning Option: Classes are held Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 8:30 AM through 2:00 PM
- + Night Option: Classes are held Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 4:00 PM through 9:00 PM
Who is this course for?
This introductory twelve week course is taught at our Northern California training facility. This course is divided into three consecutive four week training topics including: HVAC Electrical, AC Refrigeration, and Installation Practices. These modules feed into each other and provide the foundation for your career in the heating and air conditioning trade. This comprehensive program is specifically designed to teach you the information you need to know, in order to take you from a beginner to a highly desirable new hire in only 12 weeks. There is no experience or prior knowledge required to succeed in this program! This course is for students of all skills levels.
Existing techs, please view our Next Level Advanced classes.
Our goal is to ensure your future success, so we keep our tuition rates down to the bare minimum. Don’t let finances get in your way of your future career. Contact us today to learn all about the financing and job placement opportunities that are available to help you succeed.
*Subjects, topics, start times, dates, programs, and other offers are all subject to change.
Careers in Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning:
After completing the 12 week training program students will be equipped with the knowledge, training, and skills necessary to start your HVAC career. Here is a sampling of many of the available positions for our graduates:
- + HVAC Technician
- + Counter Sales
- + Distribution
- + Title 24 Duct Tester
- + HVAC Installer
- +Facilities Engineer
- + Controls Technician
- + Multi-Family Facilities Maintenance Tech